Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Literary Speculation: Do We Need Genre?

I very rarely go into a story because of the listed genre. As a whole, I honestly feel like genre as we know it is on it's way out. If I think about the genre too much when searching for new books, I often am bored of everything because I'm assuming it's going to follow the genres to a T. For instance, one of my all-time favorite stand-alone novels is 'More Than This' by Patrick Ness. On Goodreads, this novels genres are listed as: Young Adult, Sci-fi, Dystopia, and LGBT.

With the exception of the LGBT marker (which I read less as a genre marker and more as a specific content one), just based on the genres I probably wouldn't have picked up the novel. Those are the same markers for 'The Maze Runner' or 'Divergence', and neither of those types of books are ones I'm super into.

But, I read 'More Than This' because the author is one I love, and found quickly the story itself barely follows the trends present in those genres. Even more strange,  all of these books share the same genres with 'The Handmaid's Tale'. While 'The Handmaid's Tale' may be considered the same genre as many YA dystopia novels, it is no 'Hunger Games'. 

Similarly, 'The Aquatic Uncle' is considered a sci-fi, but it shares almost no similarities to any sci-fi I've ever read. Honestly, I feel that most stories have moved past genre, and due to the amount of content being produced, most authors are aiming for being more literary (with a few exceptions, such as those who make bank on recreating the same story over and over within a genre, quality notwithstanding). I think this is true for books, movies, television, even music. It's so easy for everyone to be influenced by everyone else that placing every popular thing into one specific genre is hard. 

I don't think it's necessarily important to differentiate genre for a story, unless we as a whole let go of our preconceived notions of what a genre is. If we just consider it shorter way to get the idea of the type of world and if we make it more specific (for instance, dystopia clearly shows what type of universe we are getting into, but fantasy is vague and can mean anything), then it'll be fine to label stories with it, but if we keep up with the idea that the genre determines the content on a moral or specific level then it's just going to limit some great novels to a set of genre-rules and make it harder for authors working outside of those genres to get recognition. 

I think that the reason genres are still around is because it's easier and quicker for publishers to market them, but they will probably have to start redefining and creating new genres for this method to keep working for the content being created. Or, just get rid of genre markers entirely and move towards content markers. LGBT, for instance, very rarely means it's a 'gay book' but instead that there is a gay character. If we extended that to note the notable content (such as dragons, politics, gods on earth, coffee shop romance, etc) then they will be more useful.

In the end, I think stories like 'The Handmaid's Tale' have been beyond genres for decades, and it's just going to take the world time to catch up with it.